Good afternoon 2nd Grade Families,
Here is our Week 19 Newsletter and the important points to note about our upcoming short week!
- There is no school this Fri, 1/17, as it’s a teacher professional development day. There is also no school this coming Mon, 1/20 for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day! Enjoy your 4-day weekend!
- 2nd Grade’s STAR Math Test will be tomorrow, Tues, 1/14 at 8:15 am and STAR Reading will be this Wed, 1/15. Please make sure students get a good night’s sleep, a healthy breakfast, and are ON TIME to school on these days especially!
- Our In-N-Out Field Trip will be next Wed, 1/22. On this field trip, we will receive a short presentation & a tour of the kitchen area, followed by a free meal for each student.
- January Scholastic Order forms are going home today and will be due this Thurs, 1/16.
- Fundations Unit 7, Week 2 Spelling Test will be this Thurs, 1/16 (since there’s no school on Fri, 1/17).
- Our First Reconciliation preparation starts in full force this week! There will be a “Living Faith at Home” page going home each Thurs/Fri. This should be read and discussed together at home each weekend. No need to send it back, please just make sure you’re completing it with your student in preparation for First Reconciliation (which is Sat, 2/29).
- I’ve included links to the Math strategies we’ll be learning from subtraction this week and next. The two in blue would be the most helpful in my opinion, but they are all wonderful resources depending on which method your student prefers. Remember, students can use any method, as long as they show their thinking! Hoping these help for homework completion.
- Proof Drawings for Subtraction (with Ungrouping): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH5Fy9xIXPc&list=PLQh3vz6CBO2gLHln2pwqWZVZG9rLo9ZAf&index=14
- Expanded Method + Proof Drawing for Subtraction (with Ungrouping): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc0DAbxI8d4&list=PLQh3vz6CBO2gLHln2pwqWZVZG9rLo9ZAf&index=9
- Ungroup First Method + Proof Drawing for Subtraction (With Ungrouping – *Starting with 100*): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-wdf9QG2hY
- Ungroup First Method + Proof Drawing for Subtraction (with Ungrouping): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzGlaR6Dsy0
- Number Line Strategy for Subtraction (with Ungrouping): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ABI7UFDg2o&list=PLQh3vz6CBO2gLHln2pwqWZVZG9rLo9ZAf
As always, please let me know if you have any questions!